doubtingdaisy

i respect faith but it is doubt that gave me an education!

Saturday, April 23, 2005

growing up

i have been on my own for 3 years now.well "on my own" reading away from parents.when i came away to another city for my graduation i wasnt exactly sure what to expect from the big bad world where parents would not be there as road directions to point the way.i was scared but i was excited at the prospect too!the independent spirit in me had to break away.and i got a good deal too.since i was away from home i had a say in what i wanted to do.and whenever doubt crept parents were always a phone call or email away.no i dont take my parents for granted,infact more so since i have come away from home.i have started to have new respects for their efforts.life is a big responsibilty!the past 3 years have taught me so.i have grown up like i had not in the initial 18 years of my life.the thing that i found most exciting is living with friends.it is true what they say about friends being the family we get to choose.yes living with people who dont share the same background,same culture,language,up-bringing has its flip sides.things do heat up,tempers fly sometimes,but we learn to compromise and also respect each others differences.we are there for each other,we feel for each other and being of the same age group helps us relate to each other better.we discuss everything from pregnancy to pubic hair!i have also learnt some handy tips from experience.i have finally got the hang of washing clothes for one thing.i do manage to clean a pair of jeans without shrinking them.after many disasters i have also learnt to wash clothes that let off colour separately!living on my own has made me agressive!i know that i have to take care of myself.at the end of the day we are all on our own.i am always on my gaurd so that no one takes me for a ride.i have learnt that everything or everyone is not what it/they seems.and i have discovered that i have inherited my mom's skill of haggling
!i never pay what the auto/taxi driver asks at the first go.as i said i dont let anyone take me for a ride.i have learnt to respect my womanhood.i stand up for my rights and dont let anyone get away with a sexist jibe!oh yes i have learnt to wake up in the morning by myself too.it was difficult initially without mom being around to shake me awake.but soon got used to the alarm clock.managed to reach college on time by the first month itself!i will graduate this year.but a dergee is not all i will have to show for the past 3 years.i am a new me who has graduated from being a giggly teenager to a responsible adult!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger doubtingdaisy said…

    true!i still giggle a lot (its very difficult to do otherwise when one is with girlfriends) but i dont let anyone exploit the child in me too.that how i have grown!n hope to share more insights in the future.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home